- Feb 26, 2018 9:22 AM EST: Police on Monday raised the death toll in Sunday's explosion and fire in Leicester from four to five.
Five other people were injured, according to authorities. One person remained in critical condition Monday.
"We believe there may be people who have not yet been accounted for and rescue efforts continue in order to locate any further casualties," Leicestershire police Superintendent Shane O’Neills said Monday.
- Sunday's explosion destroyed a supermarket and two floors of apartments above the shop, according to police and The Guardian.
Resident Kat Pattison told The Guardian that she felt her house shake when the explosion happened around 7 p.m. local time Sunday.
"If there had been no bang, I would have thought it was an earthquake," she said. "I couldn't believe it. It looks like the fire is burning under control, but there's still a lot of smoke. The shop would have still been open, so it's awful."
- Feb 26, 2018 1:54 AM EST: Four people have died in the explosion and four are in the hospital, Leicestershire police said. Read more here.
- Feb 25, 2018 6:10 PM EST: Hospital officials in Leicester said at least six people were wounded Sunday in a reported explosion on Hinckley Road, up from four reported injured earlier Sunday.
Officials said two of the people injured remained in critical condition late Sunday local time.
Four of those injured were described as "walking wounded." Their injuries did not appear to be life-threatening.
- Feb 25, 2018 5:32 PM EST: Authorities continued Sunday night to battle a building fire in Leicester hours after they received a report of an explosion on Hinckley Road.
Police said they first received a report of a possible explosion just after 7 p.m. local time. Multiple buildings were damaged by the incident.
Authorities evacuated the area and Hinckley Road was closed between Mostyn and Carlisle streets on Sunday night. At least four people were in critical condition at a local hospital following the incident.
Police continued Sunday to investigate what caused the explosion.
- Feb 25, 2018 4:29 PM EST: Hospital officials said four people were taken to Leicester Royal Infirmary in critical condition following an explosion Sunday night.
- Officials told Sky News a two-story building on Hinckley Road "suffered a 'pancake collapse.'"
It was not immediately clear what caused the incident.
"There was a bang and the whole house shook," resident Kat Pattinson, who was nearby when the collapse happened, told Sky News. "There was a lot of smoke, just an awful lot of smoke. It was just one event so hopefully, whatever happened, it is in the process of being contained now. ... The building doesn't appear to be there anymore."
- Feb 25, 2018 4:17 PM EST: Unidentified sources told Sky News that early indications show no link between the explosion and terrorist activity.
- Feb 25, 2018 3:58 PM EST:
- Feb 25, 2018 3:53 PM EST:
- Feb 25, 2018 3:46 PM EST:
- Feb 25, 2018 3:40 PM EST: