- Nov 8, 2017 12:50 PM EST:
From The Atlanta Journal-Constitution:
GBI officials have arrived on the scene. There have been 80 officer-involved shootings in Georgia this year, according to the agency. In 2016, the GBI investigated 77 officer-involved shootings.
- Original report: Forest Park Police Maj. Chris Matson said a suspect in the shooting, identified earlier by Clayton County deputies as Jacob Bailey, was found dead behind a home near the site of the attack, on Mitchell Street.
- "There is no more threat to anybody," Matson said.
- Matson said officers were responding to a report of reckless driving when they were shot.
- Both officers' injuries appears to be non-life threatening, according to WSBTV's Tyisha Fernandes. One officer was struck in the neck and the other in the leg.
- One officer was taken to WellStar Atlanta Medical Center South for treatment. The other went to Grady Memorial Hospital, officials said.
- Forest Park Middle School was placed on a level 1 lockdown.
- Parents told Fernandes they were relieved that the school was placed on lockdown.
- "My daughter texted me, 'Mom I'm having a lockdown but this is not a drill.' I asked her what was going on and she said, 'I'm scared though' and I told her that it is going to be OK and that I will do what I can to figure out what's going on. And she said 'I feel sick,'" the mother told Fernandes.
- Dozens of law enforcement officers were at the scene, Fernandes reported. Officers with the Georgia Bureau of Investigation were headed to the scene Wednesday morning, GBI spokeswoman Nelly Miles said.