- — Matt Martin (@missingwords)Tue, Aug 07 2012 12:26:36
- — Casper Fox (@CasperFox)Fri, Aug 10 2012 08:36:44I've got this new theory about Star Wars prequels as a metaphor, facing down the studio system and ultimately becoming the evil you feared.
- And on that note...
- Comic writer Gail Simone sparked a lengthy conversation on the prequels Thursday. Highlights:
- — GailSimone (@GailSimone)Thu, Aug 09 2012 09:57:12Star Wars question: I see tons of kids who love, love, love SW. Now, the original trilogy must seem a little dated, right? Cont.
- — GailSimone (@GailSimone)Thu, Aug 09 2012 09:58:21So, what is it making these kids SW fans? The cartoons? Games? The prequels everyone supposedly hates? What is it that hooks the kids now?
- — GailSimone (@GailSimone)Thu, Aug 09 2012 10:17:05There are a lot of storytelling weird messes in the prequels...but I think the mythic qualities are still there...maybe kids get that?
- — GailSimone (@GailSimone)Thu, Aug 09 2012 10:23:15When I was at Legoland, the little kids were going just as crazy for Anakin and Darth Maul as they did for Chewbacca, maybe more.
- — GailSimone (@GailSimone)Thu, Aug 09 2012 10:34:50My point is, the kids seem at least as enamored of the prequels, maybe more, a lot more, than the original trilogy. It's interesting.
- — GailSimone (@GailSimone)Thu, Aug 09 2012 10:44:29I don't believe kids are only responding to the visual, they can get that anywhere now. There is something there that speaks to them deeply.
- — Sarah Elizabeth (@nerd_fancy)Thu, Aug 09 2012 10:46:17@GailSimone I think the story in the prequels is more accessible to kids. The original trilogy has a depth to it that just doesn't...
- — Jim Pollaro (@JimNeedsCoffee)Thu, Aug 09 2012 10:48:54@GailSimone I do research on kids. TO distract, we let them watch movies. More choose prequels than original Star Wars triology. By far.
- — GailSimone (@GailSimone)Thu, Aug 09 2012 11:03:27All I know is hearing some people talk about the prequels is enough to make me like them a little for pissing off such excellent nerds. ;)
- — BRYAN HITCH (@THEBRYANHITCH)Thu, Aug 09 2012 10:56:19@GailSimone my 9 year old preferred the prequels and Clone Wars and they along with Lego SW game made him the fan. We all aren't 7-9 anymore
- — BRYAN HITCH (@THEBRYANHITCH)Thu, Aug 09 2012 10:57:50@GailSimone I think, were I a kid now, I would prefer the CW show and prequels to the 'originals' we saw. As an adult I don't.
- — GailSimone (@GailSimone)Thu, Aug 09 2012 11:04:57@THEBRYANHITCH Yeah...my point is that something in SW stirs emotions beyond most action/adventure stuff. That's what interests me.