- Here is how the New York Times and some of its journalists shared the news on Twitter.
- — The New York Times (@nytimes)Fri, Feb 17 2012 02:31:22The Times is deeply saddened to report the death of Anthony Shadid, foreign correspondent, in Syria: http://nyti.ms/xiiXV1 1
- — Ian Adelman (@ianadelman)Fri, Feb 17 2012 02:37:14
- — Jennifer Preston (@NYT_JenPreston)Fri, Feb 17 2012 03:25:29
- Reactions quickly followed from other journalists.
- — Andrew Phelps (@andrewphelps)Fri, Feb 17 2012 02:46:29Anthony Shadid was shot, kidnapped, beaten, and harassed, but the guy never quit. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/17/world/middleeast/anthony-shadid-a-new-york-times-reporter-dies-in-syria.html …om/2012/02/17/world/middleeast/anthony-shadid-a-new-york-times-reporter-dies-in-syria.html
- — Peter S. Goodman (@petersgoodman)Fri, Feb 17 2012 02:50:03Rarely does a journalist die and the world is different, but without shadid we will know less, and settle for less nuanced, less human truth
- — Andy Katz (@ESPNAndyKatz)Fri, Feb 17 2012 02:41:32I am absolutely crushed by this news. I worked side by side with Anthony Shadid at the UW's Daily Cardinal in 1987-89: http://nyti.ms/xnB4Ms s
- — Mark Bennett (@md_bennett)Fri, Feb 17 2012 02:50:36
- — Anderson Cooper (@andersoncooper)Fri, Feb 17 2012 03:17:09Nytimes reporter anthony shadid has died. Such a brave and smart reporter. A terrible loss. My thoughts are with his family and friends
- — Arianna Huffington (@ariannahuff)Fri, Feb 17 2012 03:20:50Awful news. Condolences to Anthony Shadid's family, friends and co-workers. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/17/world/middleeast/anthony-shadid-a-new-york-times-reporter-dies-in-syria.html?_r=2&src=tp …om/2012/02/17/world/middleeast/anthony-shadid-a-new-york-times-reporter-dies-in-syria.html?_r=2&src=tp
- — Andrea Mitchell (@mitchellreports)Fri, Feb 17 2012 03:40:13Tragic loss Anthony Shadid of apparant asthma attack in Syria one of greatest journalists of the era condolences to family and nyt
- — carlo dellaverson (@cdellaverson)Fri, Feb 17 2012 03:01:06RIP Anthony Shadid. What a huge loss for print journalism. The definition of a brilliant, badass war reporter. Such a tragedy for the NYT.
- — jeremy scahill (@jeremyscahill)Wed, Feb 15 2012 19:13:38For generations to come, young journalists will study Anthony Shadid & say, "I want to do what he did w the time he had"
- Many reactions also came from outside the journalism world, vaulting Shadid's name to a worldwide Twitter trending topic.
Anthony Shadid Dies In Syria
The New York Times reported on Thursday night that its foreign correspondent Anthony Shadid, 43, had died at work in Syria. The Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist had covered conflict in the Middle East for nearly two decades for the Times and Washington Post.
byCraig Kanalley3 Likes1,781 Views