- There was a time when the costs related to homes and real estate weren’t this much higher. People used to live in the bigger homes. But now, this age is all about compaction. People now have to live in the places that are smaller. Although it’s a wish everyone has to have a nice and bigger home, lack of time to manage things and the lack of resources do not allow most of the people to pursue this passion or desire. Some people keep wishing about having one extra room in their home that they could use for some playtime or to have fun with friends and family.
Luckily, we all have basements which most of us do not use for any specific purpose.
- This article tends to describe some ways to make the basement a place for coziness where you can spend your leisure time with friends. Here are some ideas regarding how to create a cozy basement.
Find what your purpose is
- Before you jump with joy after hearing about the potential usability of your basement, you need to think about the purpose. You need to have clear idea regarding what kind of use you are going to make out of your basement. You can make it a playroom if you have children. If there is a separate room for the children where they can play, you can turn your basement into a place where you can spend some time with your friends and family. You can make your basement a place specified for a particular activity. For instance, you can make it a TV room or a place where you can play snooker with your friends.
- While you may be able to design your basement in a way you want, flooring remains to be the matter of attention. You can install tiles or other flooring elements to make the place look good. But you have to be cautious about the risk of moisture. For this very reason, it could be a bad idea to install wooden flooring. You can install tiles which would remain intact even if they get exposed to the moisture. And also, the floor of basement can become chilly. To warm up the environment, you can place area rugs and carpets.
- Most of the storage options that work on the normal floors do not normally work in the basement. For instance, creating drawers or putting baskets for storage may not look very appealing. The best option here is to create closets. If creation of closet is not an option, you can consider putting a portable closet in the corner.
- Since you are going to make it a place for coziness, the role of decoration is going to be significant down here. Do not lighten up the room because basement is naturally a dark place. This is the place which has to remain a bit darker in order to retain the element of coziness. But you can still use light colors as much would depend upon the lighting.