- — chrisamaphone (@chrisamaphone)Tue, Dec 17 2013 01:38:22if you think typed/functional programming is harder/more intimidating than other kinds, can you say why in a tweet? won't argue just curious
- — chrisamaphone (@chrisamaphone)Tue, Dec 17 2013 15:18:01@chrisamaphone i guess i need to clarify that i'm not interested in opinions on typed fp, just on your experience trying to learn it. thanks
- — Tracy Harms (@kaleidic)Tue, Dec 17 2013 02:01:21@chrisamaphone I haven't learned to take advantage of a typesystem. It looks to routinely involve building specialized datastructures.
- — Scott Vokes (@silentbicycle)Tue, Dec 17 2013 14:46:47@chrisamaphone Typed FP utilizes an idea (manipulating a program's negative space) that programmers may have never encountered in dynlangs.
- — Craig Stuntz (@craigstuntz)Tue, Dec 17 2013 15:43:43@chrisamaphone This seems sort of trivial, but I found the tendency to use single-letter identifiers in FP languages hard as a beginner.
- — Craig Stuntz (@craigstuntz)Tue, Dec 17 2013 15:44:51@chrisamaphone IOW, the cultural tendency of FP community towards terseness was as challenging as anything in the languages.
- — Lea (@doridoidea)Tue, Dec 17 2013 18:26:25
- — Lea (@doridoidea)Tue, Dec 17 2013 18:27:21@chrisamaphone http://maryrosecook.com/post/a-practical-introduction-to-functional-programming … Doing it in python meant not learning new syntax *at the same time as* new thought structures.
- — Toors Denote (@toorsdenote)Tue, Dec 17 2013 19:05:00
- — Sarah Sharp (@sarahsharp)Tue, Dec 17 2013 18:35:02
- — Shane Hudson (@ShaneHudson)Tue, Dec 17 2013 18:36:08
- — Tavis Rudd (@tavisrudd)Tue, Dec 17 2013 18:40:44
- — Ricky Clarkson (@ricky_clarkson)Tue, Dec 17 2013 19:22:30@chrisamaphone Typed is harder for novices, who will understand a runtime error on seeing the bad value, but won't speak compilerese yet.
- — Jesse Æ Wolfe (@jes5199)Tue, Dec 17 2013 21:29:30@chrisamaphone in typed FP, it often feels like the type system won't let you experiment with partial solutions. Won't compile half-baked.
Obstacles to learning functional programming
Some replies to my tweet asking folks about their experience with learning functional programming.