- We're just about to start! Everyone is super excited!! We have students from as far North as Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, all the way to Del Vally Texas, and across the ocean to Beirut, Lebanon and Haifa Israel!
- — Terry Godwaldt (@tgodwaldt)Thu, Oct 24 2013 14:33:40Middle East in Transition Video Conference is going live soon! Really excited for our guest speaks and class discussion! #Globalencounters
- — Heba (@gangstasquad96)Thu, Oct 24 2013 15:18:53#globalencounters Hello! So nice to hear from ppl all around especially from Haifa in Israel,so beautiful there,I was there this summer :)
- — Jessie Mann (@JHManner)Thu, Oct 24 2013 15:28:58
- — Gordon Dahlby (@gdahlby)Thu, Oct 24 2013 15:30:26
- Now we're getting down to business. Let's start the first discussion!! Is Violence ever justified?
- — Terry Godwaldt (@tgodwaldt)Thu, Oct 24 2013 15:35:59What scenarios do you think violence is justified? Is it ever justified? Great historical points Queen E. #globalencounters
- — Valerie Demorte (@Sloanymini)Thu, Oct 24 2013 15:31:47#globalencounters a freedomfighter acts in the name of a cause that YOU agree with. If you don't support their cause they are a terrorist.
- Now we're going to spend a couple minutes in our own school before we reconnect to the group via video conference.
- — Jordan Bearchell (@bearchell)Thu, Oct 24 2013 15:51:39We havering a great discussion. We had got to our own question. That what kind if violence do we see in our society? #globalencounters
- — kyra (@terribly_lost)Thu, Oct 24 2013 15:51:51It's funny how we didnt talk about the First Nations. They've gotten many rights stolen & have to fight for their freedom #globalencounters
- — jamie dub (@jamiedub2)Thu, Oct 24 2013 15:52:55Who are we to put labels on "good goals" and "negative goals" in the distinction between freedom fighters and terrorists #globalencounters
- — Sean Ell (@sean_ell)Thu, Oct 24 2013 15:56:17Such a neat experience to talk to people across the world and discussing whats going on in their society compared to ours #globalencounters
- Our second questions was reinterpreted by Mark Thomas in Israel, "Rather than focusing on the difference between a Freedom Fighter and a Terrorist, let's first talk about what it means to lose everything. Only once we start to get our head around this, can we even have the debate over one vs the other.
- — kyra (@terribly_lost)Thu, Oct 24 2013 16:06:42What's the most we have ever lost? Homes, families, our religions, our freedoms and rights to express our individuality. #globalencounters
- — Jordan Bearchell (@bearchell)Thu, Oct 24 2013 16:07:43What mark said I agree with him. That you can't define this question based on other people but your self personal. #globalencounters
Middle East in Transition: The Story According to Twitter
This is a story written by hundreds of students from all around the world, via Twitter, of our Middle East in Transition VC, on Oct 24. We brought students together with experts from the US, Canada, Lebanon and Israel to talk. As you will see, the conversation was amazing!!