- News of rock'n'roll legend Lou Reed's death quickly spread throughout the social media sphere moments after it was reported by Rolling Stone.The punk poet of rock 'n' roll, who profoundly influenced generations of musicians as leader of the Velvet Underground and remained a vital solo performer for decades after, died at age 71.
- The last image on Reed's Twitter account was a door displaying a poster of a defiant Reed. The tweet read, simple: "The Door."
- CBC's Jian Ghomesi spoke with Reed on Q in 2010. Here's the link to the uncut interview, as well as reaction from other CBC reporters and personalities.
- — jian ghomeshi (@jianghomeshi)Sun, Oct 27 2013 17:53:36Lou Reed has died. I don't want to believe it. I will cherish our last interview. This is a terribly sad day for music. #RIP
- — jian ghomeshi (@jianghomeshi)Sun, Oct 27 2013 20:35:45"Feel. That's all that I am: feel." My 2010 interview with Lou Reed - uncut audio. #RIP http://www.cbc.ca/player/Radio/Q/Q+Uncut/ID/1476616301/ …
- — Tom Power (@tompowercbc)Sun, Oct 27 2013 19:32:44"One chord is fine. Two chords are pushing it. Three chords and you're into jazz." RIP Lou Reed. http://music.cbc.ca/#/blogs/2013/10/Lou-Reed-1942-2013 …
- — Metro Morning (@metromorning)Sun, Oct 27 2013 19:23:29Last time I interviewed Laurie Anderson, Lou Reed came, took photos of her throughout and they left, laughing, hand in hand. A sweet moment.
- Celebrities, artists and musicians all chimed in at the news of Reed's passing, sending his name, the hashtag #RIPLouReed and his band the Velvet Underground to the top of the worldwide trending charts.
- — Neil Gaiman (@neilhimself)Sun, Oct 27 2013 17:41:11I interviewed him once. Dined with him too. His music was/is more important to who I am than pretty much anything else. Tearing up. #louReed
- — Judd Apatow (@JuddApatow)Sun, Oct 27 2013 20:37:39I met Lou Reed and told him he gave me tinnitus at a concert in 1989 that never went away and it was worth it. Dirty Blvd. Love to Lou.
- — alex kapranos (@alkapranos)Sun, Oct 27 2013 19:53:17I will remember Lou Reed fondly, particularly the time I rode past him in full cycling gear on the West Side Highway. He looked good.
- — Salman Rushdie (@SalmanRushdie)Sun, Oct 27 2013 17:53:51My friend Lou Reed came to the end of his song. So very sad.But hey, Lou, you'll always take a walk on the wild side. Always a perfect day.
- — Terry Pratchett (@terryandrob)Sun, Oct 27 2013 17:58:58Lou Reed's gone way up to Mars Soon it will be filled with parking cars I watch it for a little while I love to watch things on TV
Musicians, celebrities and fans react to Lou Reed's death
byCBC News Community4,688 Views