- Is an apology enough after Russell Simmons, co-creator of hip-hop label Def Jam, posted a Harriet Tubman 'sex tape' on his new YouTube channel?
Many people were outraged after watching the video — now taken down — which reportedly shows the African-American abolitionist seducing white plantation owners, with a slave videotaping it from a closet.
It infers that the evidence of these sexual romps was used to blackmail the slave owners, helping Tubman free so many slaves in the late 1800s.
- Simmons was quick to respond to the criticism by taking it down, not before some people were able to take screenshots depicting Tubman and a plantation owner on a bed in various sexual positions, albeit fully clothed.
- Some people appreciated the retraction from Simmons, known as @UncleRUSH on Twitter, and let the incident slide.
- But many others remained angry and shocked by what they saw in the video, and that it was even posted in the first place.
- What do you think of Russell Simmons' apology?