- On the same day the iPhone 5 went on sale, BlackBerry-maker RIM had service outages in Europe, the Middle East and Africa. The outage affected BlackBerry Messenger, email and internet service. RIM tweeted about the disruption, and service resumed after a few hours, but it did the beleaguered company no favours.
- — Research In Motion (@BlackBerryHelp)Fri, Sep 21 2012 09:09:57Some users in EMEA are experiencing issues with their BlackBerry services. We are investigating and apologize for any inconvenience. ^HF
- Reaction on Twitter was harsh.
- — Peter Barnett (@pbarnett221)Fri, Sep 21 2012 12:50:21
- — Lord Sugar (@Lord_Sugar)Fri, Sep 21 2012 12:27:54Blackberry say the server problem is fixed and all back to normal. Not a good day for them to conk out when Apple iPhone5 is being released
- The outage also prompted fruit jokes as both Apple and Blackberry trended on Twitter.
- — Jason DeWynter (@jasontjuhhh)Fri, Sep 21 2012 13:08:19I remember when..Blackberry & Apple were just fruits. COD was a Fish. & "Getting a Mac" meant getting a burger from McDonalds..
- Some saw evidence of a conspiracy.
- — Bronwen Gray (@BronnieGray)Fri, Sep 21 2012 13:11:23“@abelardinelli: Blackberry server going down on the day new iPhone is launched not exactly great timing” isn't this looking suspicious?!?
- Others made still more jokes.
- — IB4N M42U (@Tweets_By_Nifty)Fri, Sep 21 2012 12:48:56As if BlackBerry users needed a reason to switch to Android or Apple.... BBM ain't working. How long can u dinosaurs hold on?
BlackBerry outage sparks outrage, jokes from smartphone users
byCBC News Community4,130 Views