- The session was kicked off by journalism legend Lowell Bergman, who has been working to collaborate across media organizations for much of his storied career.
- — dana lacey (@danalacey)Wed, Apr 11 2012 16:46:40Lowell Bergman (chair of Investigative Reporting at Berkeley), remembers a time when collaboration between newsrooms was illegal. #collab12
- Many of the audience members are from non-profit media, which traditionally has worked in partnerships with others
- — Ian Hill (@ianhillmedia)Wed, Apr 11 2012 16:46:59A lot of journalists at for-profits still aren't willing to collaborate. Which is why so many here are in nonprofit, methinks #collab12
- — Rocky Mountain iNews (@iNews)Wed, Apr 11 2012 17:20:22Investigative reporting = pursuing story no matter where it goes, w/o fear or favor, as long as the money lasts - Lowell Bergman #collab12
- But the benefits of collaboration outweigh the risks and is something that all news organizations should embrace, Bergman argued.
- — Ian Hill (@ianhillmedia)Wed, Apr 11 2012 16:49:27"You have to show your cards you have to take chances and you have to be willing to be disappointed" Bergman on Collaboration #collab12
- — Dan Moulthrop (@danmoulthrop)Wed, Apr 11 2012 16:48:19
- There are also serious legal reasons to collaborate when stories touch on sensitive issues that could provoke legal action:
- Mark Glaser of PBS Mediawatch has launched a new site around collaboration to help spread the word and foster people to share stories and fund ways to work together.
- — Wendy Levy (@twendywendy)Wed, Apr 11 2012 16:56:43Mark Glaser #collab12 new site http://www.pbs.org/mediashift/collaborationcentral/ …ediashift/collaborationcentral/ a guide to working together in the digital age
- — Samantha Grant (@gushproductions)Wed, Apr 11 2012 16:58:43Mark Glaser at #collab12: Coop-petition in journalism. Remember, it's not about us. It's about serving the public.
- — Ian Hill (@ianhillmedia)Wed, Apr 11 2012 16:58:02I think that speaks to what Mark Glaser is speaking of here; journo's job isn't to beat the other guy, it's to serve the public. #collab12
- Collaboration also needs to be sustainable, Emily Harris of the Journalism Accelerator pointed out:
- — Wendy Levy (@twendywendy)Wed, Apr 11 2012 17:03:22
- — Golden Wheel Comm (@goldenwheelcom)Wed, Apr 11 2012 17:21:06
- Next up: me!
Collab/Space 2012: Journalists Working Together
Leaders from public media and investigative reporting gathered to talk about working together.
byBurt Herman2 Likes154 Views