- In 2007 I was stationed in Alaska on the Cutter Sycamore. While underway to Kodiak Island we found this NOAA buoy flipped over. This is a semi-rare event since NOAA buoys are designed like weeble-wobbles and are supposed to self correct and not flip. We figured that a cruse ship or tanker must have run it over to get it into this shape.
- So we got a small boat ready and went out to flip it back over.
- Since there was a chance that it might suddenly right itself it was decided to flip it over with a tow cable.
- We didn't have the equipment to check the status of electronics on the buoy so we contacted NOAA and advised them about the buoy.
- Then we got back underway to Kodiak Island.
NOAA buoy in Prince William Sound Alaska