- The week before the chat, people watched the powerful Al Jazeera America documentary, "Deaf In Prison" & shared their thoughts on social media using #DeafInPrison. HEARD worked with Al Jazeera America producers for more than two years on this documentary project & we are humbled and grateful for their support of the Movement.
People with Disability/People with Disabilities = #PwD.
#SchoolToPrisonPipeline #STPP=national trend of children being funneled out of schools & into juvenile & #CJSystem.
Deaf, DeafBlind, DeafDisabled, Hard of Hearing = #DDBDDHH.
American Sign Language #ASL is a full language with its own syntax, grammar & structure. It is not a 1-to-1 translation of English.
Americans with Disabilities Act #ADA-federal law that prohibits discrimination against #PwD & imposes public accessibility requirements on justice, legal and corrections entities.
Individuals with Disabilities Education Act #IDEA - federal law governing provision of early intervention & Special Ed. services.
- In the days & hours leading up to the chat, #DeafInPrison support and allyship came from expected & unexpected places . . .
- More than one hundred Twitter users participated in this historic chat!
- Before we dove into questions, we laid the groundwork for the chat.
- Participants reminded us of the importance of honoring the multiple identities and experiences of DDBDDHH community members.
- Heartbreaking narratives of audism, ableism, discrimination & abuse within the justice system were shared throughout the discussion.