- Journalists, public communicators and academics shared the floor but were also massively present among the audience.
- It was great to be able to live blog the event and I believe this added value to the event not only for those following from a distance but also for the audience in the room.
- Colleagues from the Parliament and the Commission joined in too to learn what journalists had to say about the presence of EU institutions on social media.
- The future of journalism was not clearly set out during the seminar, but it is clear that there IS a future for journalism... whether online or offline!
Journalists present in the room said they felt uncomfortable with certain characteristics of social media, some of which are described below:
- Twitter clearly stole the show at the event, not only in substance but also in format!
- Even the President of the European Council, Mr Van Rompuy, followed the conversation via the Twitter hashtag #eusmj!
The live feed, also displaying Twitter conversations, was very visible in the room and generated additional buzz and parallel conversations.