- If anything noteworthy happened during the 2012 campaign, it's likely that a Facebook page, Twitter account or Tumblr was created to poke fun at it. Here is a look at the key moments seen through the filter of Twitter.
- @PaulRyanGosling was created the day Paul Ryan was announced as Romney's running mate and has been entertaining Twitter ever since.
- Missouri Rep. Todd Aiken was asked about his "no exceptions" abortion policy, even in cases of rape. He responded in part with the following: "If it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down."
- The Democratic National Convention saw record tweets during speeches by Michelle Obama, breakout star Bill Clinton, and President Obama. Republicans were quick to remind voters of Clinton's impeachment and tarnished reputation.
- Meanwhile, Joe Biden literally caused unprecedented cringing among English teachers everywhere.
- There was no humor about the attack on the U.S. Consulate in Libya, that left U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens dead, along with Americans Tyrone Woods, Glen Doherty and Sean Smith. Obama has been charged repeatedly with avoiding direct answers about the incident and it continues to be a hot-button issue. The Twitter account "Sean Hannity's Hair" is one parody account that has taken a firm stance.
- A secret and partly incomplete recording is posted online in which Romney says 47% of the country is government-dependent, self-identified victims.