Occupy movement expands, Mayor Emanuel makes decision that gets national attention

83 total views
  1. Since the Occupy Chicago demonstration on Saturday, much controversy has developed. Over 150 arrests were reported by the Chicago Sun-Times, a decision approved for the Chicago Police Department by Mayor Rahm Emanuel.

    See the Sun-Times article to see how Emanual defends his decision that left many people upset, including registered nurses all over the nation.

  2. On October 14 protestors gathered for a demonstration that ended in over 170 arrests, according to the Occupy Chicago official website.

    This weekend, on October 22, protestors attempted to "peaceably assemble" in Grant Park to express their petitions and greivances.

    Protestors said they were aiming to make the park the home base for the movement.

  3. Other local groups joined the Occupy Chicago movement as it picked up.

    Take Back Chicago is one group that has helped organize everything from trolley protests to walk-throughs in the Bank of America building on Lasalle Street.

  4. Protestors gathered at the Bank of America building yelling, "Bank of America, take back America!"
  5. Local media began focusing on Occupy Chicago as protests increased.

     

    Check out the Flickr map to see some of the places protestors were gathering.

  6. As Occupy Wall Street started getting media attention, the movement spread to other areas across the country.

    Occupy Chicago started protests and demosntrations nearly a week after the Wall Street protests.

    The downtown Loop area was launching point for these protests, at places like the Federal Reserve Bank.

  7. The Occupy movement began as a movement of the people. Protestors used social media like Twitter (twitter.com/#!/OccupyChi) and Facebook
    (facebook.com/OccupyChicago) to increase support.

     

    Protestors relied on social media for citizen journalists to explain the the foundations of the movement.

  8. As the notion of the 99 percent became the slogan of the Occupy movement, some began to wonder which category they fell in and how each category was defined.

     

    CNN reported data that showed the dynamics of the 1 percent.

  9. The Occupy movement gained momentum under the name Occupy Wall Street (occupywallst.org/). Protestors argue that 1 percent of the American population, the wealthy, have disregarded the poor and middle class that make up the remaining 99 percent.

     

    See the Wikipedia timeline that chronicles the movement since protests began on September 17, 2011.

Like
Share

Share

Facebook
Google+