The first resident tweeted about a traffic jam in the northbound lanes at 2:45 p.m.
- — Andy Paras (@AndyParas)Thu, Feb 02 2012 11:47:25
Information soon came over the police scanner.
- — Ronald B Rowland Jr (@Ronaldbravo)Thu, Feb 02 2012 11:45:11
Authorities confirmed they were on the bridge with a man threatening to harm himself.
Witnesses tweeted from on and around the bridge.
- — Mike Ledford (@themikeledford)Thu, Feb 02 2012 12:21:52There's a dude skateboarding on the northbound side of the bridge. (at Arthur J. Ravenel Jr. Bridge) [pic] — http://path.com/p/4DJ5zs J5zs
- — Allyson Bird (@allysonjbird)Thu, Feb 02 2012 12:29:58Just got an email from the father of a witness to man threatening to jump from Ravenel Bridge. Police evacuated his daughter. #chs
Others watched and tweeted in disbelief
- — Gene Sapakoff (@Sapakoff)Thu, Feb 02 2012 12:22:31Guy threatening to jump (and other stuff) from Ravenel Bridge between #chs and Mt. Pleasant. Traffic mess. Take a different route. Pray.
- — Clarke Walker (@PhishDaStream)Thu, Feb 02 2012 12:57:14I drove past the crazy jumper man at 250. It was the weirdest police scene I've ever seem. People walking away from their cars.
- — † Chris † (@yourweekleydose)Thu, Feb 02 2012 12:58:44The fact that people are saying "just jump off the bridge, don't slow down my day" makes me feel ill. You've got as many problems as he does
- — Ryan Nelson (@Ryan_NelsonSC)Thu, Feb 02 2012 13:00:15This is too much. I'm saying a prayer for the rescue workers on the Ravenel. This car has "stay away bomb" "game over" written on windows