- First, Kim wins for awesome picture!
- — Sharing Science (@AGU_SciComm)Fri, Apr 21 2017 12:45:17
- We agree:
- — Sharing Science (@AGU_SciComm)Fri, Apr 21 2017 13:22:01
- She started by talking about what she does:
- — Sharing Science (@AGU_SciComm)Fri, Apr 21 2017 13:26:12What does a physical oceanographer do? Study the physics of the ocean of course! Waves, currents, and just how fluids move around the ocean
- — Sharing Science (@AGU_SciComm)Fri, Apr 21 2017 13:29:34As far a research goes, my specialty is waves and turbulence. But what I really love is DATA. Which brings me to my current job....
- And made sure that folks knew her industry:
- — Sharing Science (@AGU_SciComm)Fri, Apr 21 2017 13:31:56I'm NOT an academic! I'm a senior oceanographer @SeaBirdScience an American Company that makes oceanographic sensors and instrumentation
- Instantly folks were interested:
- — Francisco (@fmffatela1)Fri, Apr 21 2017 13:34:25Hope you throw your stuff with a round trip ticket... .'-) Cheers! https://twitter.com/AGU_SciComm/status/855410728483774466 …
- She gave an example of using pop culture for scicomm:
- — Sharing Science (@AGU_SciComm)Fri, Apr 21 2017 13:44:53My job as an oceanographer at an instrument maker is to MAKE YOUR DATA BETTER. It's a lovely mix of science, engineering and data analysis.
- — Sharing Science (@AGU_SciComm)Fri, Apr 21 2017 13:54:45Disclaimer: we've never actually deployed Miley Cyrus (yet!) and if your CTD is breeching you might have more serious problems https://twitter.com/AGU_SciComm/status/855418313765081088 …
- — Alt Sci,Space,&Tech (@altHouseScience)Fri, Apr 21 2017 13:54:47Buckle up, folks. A @rejectedbanana take-over of @AGU_SciComm is what we all needed today. https://twitter.com/AGU_SciComm/status/855418313765081088 …
- There was some debate over the utility and appropriateness of the photoshopping:
@AGU_SciComm rocur takeover - Kim Martini
Dr. Kim Martini, Senior Oceanographer at Sea-Bird Scientific, took over our Twitter to talk about what it's like to be an oceanographer and work with some awesome ocean instruments!