- It starts when the Escapist posts the second part of an article with developers interviewed about Gamergate. The first one was of 7 women in industry who asked to remain anonymous. The second was 17 male developers.
And a whole lot of trouble.
- — Greg Tito (@Gregtito)Fri, Oct 10 2014 14:39:25This massive group of interviews we're publishing today proves that game developers are as varied as the culture is right now. #GamerGate
- It gets off to a poor start, to be modest.
- — Blad the Impaler (@TimOfLegend)Fri, Oct 10 2014 18:21:57The Escapist says gg began with ethical concerns, and was only LATER accused of misogyny? Nice history re-write. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/features/12383-Game-Developer-GamerGate-Interviews-Shed-Light-on-Women-in-Games …
- — Frank Cifaldi (@frankcifaldi)Fri, Oct 10 2014 19:34:07I wonder how The Escapist's writers feel about their publisher making fun of game journos with Adam Baldwin? http://www.everyjoe.com/2014/10/06/news/interview-adam-baldwin-gamergate-politics-ranger/ …
- — Frank Cifaldi (@frankcifaldi)Fri, Oct 10 2014 19:44:50If you're an editor with any budget free, now would be a good time to give an assignment to your favorite Escapist writer and free them.
- Then, Tim Schafer points something out to me, which I screencap and tweet out.
- — known spoopyman (@alexlifschitz)Fri, Oct 10 2014 19:11:46"Here's seven (anonymous) FEMALE devs and seventeen (named) REAL devs including harassers and MRAs. Both sides man. War never changes."
- — Spooky Ms Minotaur (@MsMinotaur)Fri, Oct 10 2014 20:19:35"This is Joe Smith, he's a programmer. And over here, we have Jane Smith, she's a *feeeeeeemale* programmer"
- After 400 retweets and significant public outcry, Escapist EIC Greg Tito jumps in to make changes to the headline.
- — videogametourism.at (@vdgmtourism)Fri, Oct 10 2014 19:20:52
- — videogametourism.at (@vdgmtourism)Fri, Oct 10 2014 19:21:30
- By this time, we make it into the article itself. But something is amiss. It seems unusually slanted in favor of Gamergate despite being billed as a random sampling of devs.
- Then we read the interview list and sort back through our documentation.
Archon, GM at the Escapist, sourced them all from 4chan.
- — Spoopy Twittër Rando (@TheQuinnspiracy)Fri, Oct 10 2014 20:18:32Gamergate Ethics: It's not bias if they agree with us (escapist). It's not corruption if they go after our enemies (brietbart).
- — Spoopy Twittër Rando (@TheQuinnspiracy)Fri, Oct 10 2014 20:31:08to the "moderates" of gamergate: how do you think you can get rid of corruption in journalism when you can't rid your own movement of it?
- People begin parsing the interviews for a sampling of unbelievably loaded questions.
- — dire dire deer (@m_kopas)Fri, Oct 10 2014 20:46:20guess what: cultural products exist in cultural contexts and pretending they don't and that you can judge them apart from them is absurd
Game Devs on Gamergate
free and all mine dog farts
byChanuka Krampus17 Likes64,823 Views