- We asked participants to read and think about Nikhil Trivedi's "Oppression: A Museum Primer" in preparation for our third Chat.
- — aleiabrown (@aleiabrown)Wed, Feb 18 2015 02:06:29
- — Andrea Burns (@HistoryAndrea)Mon, Feb 16 2015 23:41:31
- — Will Walker (@willcooperstown)Wed, Feb 04 2015 19:25:07
- We also suggested participants read material from #BlackLivesMatter
- — Adrianne Russell (@adriannerussell)Wed, Feb 18 2015 17:19:19For #museumsrespondtoferguson read "State of the Black Union" via @Blklivesmatter http://blacklivesmatter.com/state-of-the-black-union/ … #BlackLivesMatter
- — Margaret Middleton (@magmidd)Wed, Feb 18 2015 19:28:04
- — Artstuffmatters (@artstuffmatters)Thu, Feb 05 2015 20:58:04#BlackLivesMatter Teach-In: Dismantling Anti-Black Racism in Visual Culture @CAA THATCamp http://caa2015thatcamp.org/2015/02/05/make-session-blacklivesmatter-teach-in-dismantling-anti-black-racism-in-visual-culture/ … … #museumsrespondtoferguson
- We focused on evaluating if/how the Chat raised consciousness in ways individuals and museums aid or dismantle oppression.
- — Jaryn (@JarynElizabeth)Wed, Feb 18 2015 19:14:57
- — Adrianne Russell (@adriannerussell)Wed, Feb 18 2015 19:13:57A1: I was dismayed & disappointed when I realized how often I let others define & speak my truths. #museumsrespondtoferguson
- — Alyssa Greenberg (@greenbergalyssa)Wed, Feb 18 2015 19:13:54A1 I'm examining the politics behind my desire/choice, as a white cis privileged woman, to pursue museum work. #museumsrespondtoferguson
- — shaelyn amaio (@heyshaelyn)Wed, Feb 18 2015 19:15:14
- We wanted to know if the Chat inspired personal conversations, or conversations within museums that addressed police brutality.
- — Adrianne Russell (@adriannerussell)Wed, Feb 18 2015 19:24:51Q2: Have you or your organizations initiated conversations about police brutality and state violence? #museumsrespondtoferguson
- — shaelyn amaio (@heyshaelyn)Wed, Feb 18 2015 19:31:24A2: We talk about historic state violence: slavery, protesters, etc. We draw modern parallels during tours, etc. #museumsrespondtoferguson
- — shaelyn amaio (@heyshaelyn)Wed, Feb 18 2015 19:32:30A2 (cont): But we do not currently have specific programming or materials to address current events. #museumsrespondtoferguson
- — Abby Gautreau (@abbygateau)Wed, Feb 18 2015 19:30:55A2 I think many sites rely on wealthy (white male) donors & have a BoD to contend w/; lots of pushback #museumsrespondtoferguson
- — Abby Gautreau (@abbygateau)Wed, Feb 18 2015 19:32:44A2 Many Boards don't want to "get political" but being silent on these issues & accepting status quo IS political #museumsrespondtoferguson
- — Denise Valentine (@Storymama01)Wed, Feb 18 2015 19:30:25
- — Gretchen Jennings (@gretchjenn)Wed, Feb 18 2015 19:30:14
How do museums aid in perpetuating or dismantling oppression?
byaleiabrown1 Like227 Views