- — Catt Small (@cattsmall)Wed, Jun 04 2014 06:04:31Oh no, Pharrell jumped on the cultural appropriation train. Waiting to see him in a Navajo sweater from UO. #nothappy http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2014/06/03/not-happy-natives-pan-pharrells-headdress-look-elle-uk-cover-155142 …
- — 1491s (@1491s)Wed, Jun 04 2014 08:25:01To the tune of "Happy!" Cause I'm raciiiiiiiiiIIIIIIIIIiiiiiiiiist! http://m.elleuk.com/star-style/news/pharrell-williams-elle-july-2014-cover-star-pharrelle … @Pharrell @ELLEUK
- — Alexander F. Spencer (@Navajo_Spencer1)Wed, Jun 04 2014 06:33:14@Pharrell i'm native American and that cover is offensive. THAT IS NOT A EDM WEAR NOW!! It Traditional Headwear worn by Native Americans!!!
- — Minty L.A. LongEarth (@mintysworld)Wed, Jun 04 2014 02:35:13I love your music @Pharrell - I really wish your stylist had warned you about cultural appropriation w/ the Elle cover. :( still love you!
- One Instagram user posted a mock version of Elle UK's cover calling it the "Special insensitive edition":
- Another user created their own satirical apology on behalf of the magazine:
- Some came to the defence of the artist by highlighting his Native American roots:
- — Amber Blueskyè (@AmberBernard)Wed, Jun 04 2014 01:16:57
- — dream hampton (@dreamhampton)Wed, Jun 04 2014 04:56:35Pharrell will go on urban radio & tell y'all abt his Cherokee great grandmother & shake his head at how quickly you jump to conclusions
- — Alfonso هيو غو (@IamHugoAlfonso)Wed, Jun 04 2014 15:32:28
- But some insisted Pharrell's background did not change the cover's inappropriateness:
- — Crystal C'Bearing (@lady_bear11)Wed, Jun 04 2014 05:35:37
- — Dr. Adrienne K. (@NativeApprops)Wed, Jun 04 2014 01:26:06
- — Frank Waln (@FrankWaln)Wed, Jun 04 2014 03:10:06I wonder if the people saying "Pharrell is part Native American" know there are over 500+ tribes in the US. Headdresses didn't belong to all
- — Wab Kinew (@WabKinew)Wed, Jun 04 2014 02:02:01Hey @Pharrell I'm inviting you to a traditional Sundance so u can learn about the sacrifice that's put in before someone wears a headdress
Native Americans to Pharrell: We're #NotHappy
Criticism online after music artist debuts feather headdress in Elle UK's July issue.
byThe Stream20,854 Views