- — Rania Khalek (@RaniaKhalek)Sun, Sep 28 2014 17:40:19
- Just as Muslims said ISIL’s actions were #NotInMyName, Blumenthal went on to condemn Israel's relationship to Judaism.
- — Max Blumenthal (@MaxBlumenthal)Mon, Sep 29 2014 20:57:40
- Others tweeted their assent.
- — Joel Reinstein (@JoelReinstein)Mon, Sep 29 2014 19:47:09
- — Hasbara Troll (@HasbaraTroll1)Tue, Sep 30 2014 00:22:54
Some using the hashtag couched Israel’s public relations campaigns in the language frequently used to talk about ISIL recruitment.
- — Dan Cohen (@dancohen3000)Mon, Sep 29 2014 21:00:43Growing up Jewish in America, #JSIL infiltrated my synagogue and actively recruits from my community to kill for its expansionist aims.
- — Terrina Aguilar (@TerrinaMajnoona)Tue, Sep 30 2014 00:53:27Heartbreaking stories coming out from Jews radicalized by extremist clerics as kids to be recruited into #JSIL
- — abushalom (@abushalom)Mon, Sep 29 2014 22:09:20
- Others satirically asked whether the United States would come to the aid of Palestinians.
- — IDFcomedian (@IDFcomedian)Tue, Sep 30 2014 08:34:23#JSIL extremists lay siege to cleansed, bombed and battered ethnic group, restricting access to food. OBAMA, WHERE ARE THE CARRIERS?
- But the hashtag did generate backlash as well, with many online saying it was simply a distraction.
- — Jamie Weinstein (@Jamie_Weinstein)Mon, Sep 29 2014 21:08:26
- — Amanda Burns (@mandsburns)Tue, Sep 30 2014 06:34:44
- — aalenian2009 (@aalenian2009)Tue, Sep 30 2014 05:43:59
Activists seek to rebrand Israel as 'JSIL'
Twitter users compare Israel to ISIL, renaming it the 'Jewish State of Israel in the Levant'.
byThe Stream30,948 Views