- — Boris Johnson (@MayorofLondon)Mon, Jun 09 2014 10:11:28Spikes outside Southwark housing development to deter rough sleeping are ugly, self defeating & stupid. Developer should remove them ASAP.
- Although the developers of the property have not confirmed the purpose of the spikes, many took to social media to express anger over their placement:
- Some also circulated a petition with more than 8,000 signatures, calling on the development company to remove the spikes.Others shared photos of similar "spikes" found throughout the country:
- Some defended the use of the spikes:
- — SlayerTheHacker (@SlayerTheHacker)Mon, Jun 09 2014 00:22:52Am I the only one who sees no problem with the #AntiHomeless thing? How would u like it if some random guy came and slept on your doorstep?
- — Dorothy Gale (@DorothyGale1958)Mon, Jun 09 2014 14:52:02
- — Elsa (@_VictoRihanna_)Sat, Jun 07 2014 20:59:26I'm all 4 the #antihomelessspikes also sorry not sorry. No 1 wants random homeless ppl sleeping every where deterring ppl & so forth.
- — Lady Andrea (@_AndreaUrbanFox)Sat, Jun 07 2014 14:12:45I live in an area where there are drunks/junkies sleeping rough. I feel sorry for them but dont want them in my doorstep #AntiHomelessSpikes
- Others noted it wasn't the spikes, but homelessness itself that was the problem:
- — Sinnesloschen (@CoastalJames)Mon, Jun 09 2014 08:16:58Don't get angry over #AntiHomelessSpikes , get angry over homelessness. That is the real issue here, the spikes are a smokescreen.
- — James Shram (@jamesshram)Mon, Jun 09 2014 11:46:28I don't think #AntiHomelessSpikes make less people homeless.. So why not spend the money on helping the homeless instead of on spikes?
Homelessness rise in London met with spikes
Mayor joins calls to remove 'anti-homeless' metal studs.
byThe Stream30,968 Views