- STEP 1: Pick your wood.
- Aaron found this wood abandoned in someone's yard. It is begging to be a console table.
- STEP 2: Envy all of the cool tools you will be using shortly.
- STEP 3: Get super safe with super earmuffs. Regret wearing a black shirt, which will show the sawdust, with ruffles, which could result in woodcutting death. Decide to take the chance.
- STEP 4: Measure. And thank Aaron for pre-making the metal legs, because welding might be a bit much for a drop-in project. Next time.
- STEP 5: Slice the wood to the right size.
- STEP 6: Straighten any wobbles, dips and wiggles in the wood.
- Is it straight?
- STEP 7: Feed it through the thickness planer, which is amazingly fun.
- STEP 8: Shave off the cracks on the ends with a miter saw.
'Soulcrafting' a wooden table, Day 1
I joined Austin Aaron at Dancing Grains Woodworks to learn how to build a table out of reclaimed cottonwood. Join us for Day 1!
byAimee Heckel2,990 Views