- As Ireland's National Human Rights Institution (NHRI), the Irish Human Rights and Equality Commission has the role of independently assessing the State's performance in complying with the Convention against Torture.
A number of issues and recommendations were raised by the Commission in its report and later in meetings with the members of the Committee, ahead of the State examination.
- — Fíona Ní Chinnéide (@fianna71)Sat, Jul 22 2017 08:40:05Only getting to read @_IHREC #UNCAT submission now - clear & strong recs on prisons culture, oversight, complaints:… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/888680032914288640 …
- — Immigrant Council.ie (@immigrationIRL)Fri, Jul 28 2017 15:17:13Great to see @_IHREC championing the #humanrights of #asylumseekers in #UNCAT61 https://twitter.com/_IHREC/status/890943580218548224 …
- — IHREC (@_IHREC)Thu, Jul 27 2017 07:37:39Among issues raised by @_IHREC to #UNCAT-concern about the abuse & mistreatment in residential settings https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/people-in-irish-nursing-homes-face-cruel-and-degrading-treatment-1.3167871 … @IrishTimes
- — Stephen O'Hare (@SOHare75)Thu, Jul 27 2017 08:38:31
- Delegations on behalf of the State, the Commission, and a range of civil society organisations traveled to Geneva to participate in the examination.
Country Rapporteurs Felice Gaer and Ana Racu lead the Committee's examination, asking detailed questions of the State delegation with regard to its obligations under the Convention. Other Committee members asked targeted questions pertaining to specific issues of interest.
- — John Lynch (@John_Zik_Lynch)Fri, Jul 28 2017 18:03:37Mme Rapp.Gaer and Mme Rapp.Racu have such a comprehensive knowledge of issues rep. in strong q's esp. historical abuse and prisons #uncat61
- — IHREC (@_IHREC)Fri, Jul 28 2017 14:59:19Ms Gaer asks Irish State re immigration-related detention as a measure of last resort. #uncat #uncat61 @_IHREC reco… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/890949796445519873 …
- — IHREC (@_IHREC)Thu, Jul 27 2017 10:37:36Sébastien Touzé asks on progress since O'Keeffe v Ireland in 2014. Read our latest Rule 9 submission here: https://www.ihrec.ie/documents/o-keeffe-v-ireland-communication-committee-ministers/ … #uncat61
Ireland's 2017 examination by the UN Committee against Torture
In July 2017, the UN Committee against Torture examined Ireland's compliance with the UN Convention against Torture, and other forms of Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment. Here's an outline of the issues raised by the Committee and the discussion that followed.