- The session, held at Spertus' beautiful Lakeshore-adjacent building, attracted young professionals from across the Jewish community landscape.
- Rabbi Schwarz began by describing the challenges that 'legacy' Jewish organizations (national organizations that have been around for more than 30 years) face:
- — Yoni (@YoniSarason)Mon, May 20 2013 17:20:23Rabbi Sid Schwarz @Spertus says , due to relative Jewish affluence, many jcom orgs will survive long after they have ceased serving anyone
- He then discussed generational differences and highlighted events that kept Boomers engaged in Jewish collective identity, and why Millennials aren't following suit in the same way.
- — Yoni (@YoniSarason)Mon, May 20 2013 17:35:05Even w/o antisemitism, boomers didn't bolt from jcom because of 'heroic' events in Jewish community, 6-day war, Entebbe raid, Soviet Jews
- — Yoni (@YoniSarason)Mon, May 20 2013 17:42:08Jcom is a tribal phenomenal 4 tribal Jews by tribal Jews whose ethos it's all about us. Millenials r stridently post tribal, says R' Schwarz
- He offered several different ideas, from his book, as to how the Jewish community can reconnect with our young adults:
- — Rebecca Schorr (@RebeccaSchorr)Mon, May 20 2013 18:21:40
- — Lizzi Heydeman (@RebLizzi)Mon, May 20 2013 17:52:27
- — Yoni (@YoniSarason)Mon, May 20 2013 17:53:11R'Schwarz: We r living in a time of the greatest spiritual resurgence in American history, due 2 rejection of failed American civil culture
- — Yoni (@YoniSarason)Mon, May 20 2013 18:23:39R' Schwarz: Social media can be a great tool for supporting community, but it can't supplant face to face, real time interaction. @BI_NEXT
- For a review of Jewish Megatrends, by Sid Schwarz, see below:
#NEXTwork Lunch & Learn: Jewish Megatrends
Rabbi Sid Schwarz, author of Jewish Megatrends, spoke to an audience of thirty young Jewish communal professionals at a Lunch Learn organized by NEXT: A Division of Birthright Israel Foundation in partnership with Spertus Institute of Jewish Learning and Leadership
byYoni Sarason618 Views