- This presentation is based on these two assigned articles:
1. Hackers and Hacktivists
- Media and movies sometimes add false information to hackers, but hackers regard themselves as defenders of freedom and democracy. I mentioned a movie clip that record the life of hackers and how they organize activities. Here is the full movie:
- An article from New York Times define hacktivist as a person who uses technology to effect social change.
- And here are two videos that elaborate on the social changes they have made.
- The first one is a news about French hackers promised to fight against ISIS after the Bataclan theater terrorist attack.
- The second one is a documentary called We Are Legion. It is also mentioned by Professor Mindy in class.
- Cyberpolitics mainly deals with cyber issues, including privacy problems and freely access information online. Some social scientists say that define and consider problems of cyberpolitics is of not so much significance. They regard what hackers do and pursue as just spanners for the network orders. Other people, on the contrary, view them as the vanguard for society development. And they both express worry that their collective action will be affected by the pure lust for technology.
- Problems in cyberpolitics are concluded into three triangles by an article from The Huffing Post.
3. The "Cathedral” and the “Bazaar” Styles of Software Development
- These two styles describe two different ways of software development. The Cathedral style is the conventional and closed development style. It is based on a central plan and has strict and specified rules. The early phase of software development is dominant by cathedral style because only few companies like Microsoft.
On the contrary, the Bazaar model exposes the code to the public, and different developers collaborate to improve the software’s function.
The video below introduce a typical model of the "Bazaar" Style called Linux.
4..Sharing and the Commons
- I conclude many meanings of "sharing". And I introduce the idea of "tragedy of the commons". You can look it up in my blog.
- Ostrom explains her theory of solutions for the tragedy in the video below.