- — WBI (@WI_bioenergy)Tue, Oct 30 2012 06:17:27Prov. DeLuca: "It's going to take more than discovery to solve our energy challenges. Partnership between idea and application." #UWEnergy12
- — GreatLakesBioenergy (@GLBioenergy)Tue, Oct 30 2012 06:20:50#UWEnergy12 kicking off now! Dow Chemical's William Banholzer's opening talk: Materials Solving Energy Issues: Separating Hype from Reality
- — WBI (@WI_bioenergy)Tue, Oct 30 2012 06:24:07Banholzer: House A/C perceived to use 2 lightbulbs worth of energy, in reality more like 200. Perception of energy vs reality. #UWEnergy12
- — WBI (@WI_bioenergy)Tue, Oct 30 2012 06:30:18Banholzer: Despite the environmental and future cost benefits of compact fluorescent bulbs, 80% of consumers don't use them. #UWEnergy12
- — GreatLakesBioenergy (@GLBioenergy)Tue, Oct 30 2012 06:31:46Banholzer: energy is a business. What ppl want/pay for/can afford are not necessarily the same, but you need all 3 for success #UWEnergy12
- — Falicia Hines (@falicia_hines)Tue, Oct 30 2012 06:57:26DOW's Banholzer says buying a vehicle is an emotional purchase, not practical. This affects decisions on fuel economy etc. #uwenergy12
- After the morning keynote presentation by William Banholzer of DOW Chemical. Attendees were able to choose one of three breakout sessions from our three Energy Summit 2012 tracks.
Track One: Energy and its Societal Impacts
Track Two: Energy and the Wisconsin Idea
Track Three: Innovation to Solve Our Energy Challenges
The first sessions were Energy and Human Health, UW–Madison Community Partnerships, and Supplying a Clean Energy Future.
- — Margo Broeren (@margaretBroeren)Tue, Oct 30 2012 07:19:14Holloway showing smoggy photos of Bejing, LA and Madison. Health impacts are easier to see than you might think. #UWEnergy12
- — GreatLakesBioenergy (@GLBioenergy)Tue, Oct 30 2012 07:24:59Venkataramanan: health=indicator of life, liberty & pursuit of happiness; need energy for health. Energy=proxy for human devo #UWEnergy12
- — Falicia Hines (@falicia_hines)Tue, Oct 30 2012 07:31:26Giri Venkataramanan: Life, liberty and happiness is a human right - engineers should enable it, no excuses. #uwenergy12
- — Jill Hopke (@jillhopke)Tue, Oct 30 2012 07:33:01150 yrs ago people spent 90% of their time outside. Now we spend 90% of time inside. Rod Heller is talking about the impacts. #UWenergy12