- Ukrainian president and opposition leaders sign EU-mediated accordPresident Viktor Yanukovich and leaders from the opposition signed a political agreement aimed at resovling months of unrest and violence inside the country. President Yanukovich agreed to a number of concessions including early actions, changes to the constitution which would limit the president's power and the formation of a national unity government. We'll get an update from Kiev with Mychailo )Wynnyckyj, a professor of Sociology at National University of Kyiv-Mohyla Academy.
'Shoah' director's new film tells the story of 'The Last of the Unjust'
The new documentary by Claude Lanzmann, Last of the Unjust, tells the story of Benjamin Murmelstein, a rabbi from Vienna who was complicit with the Nazis. The film revisits a series of interviews with Murmelstein first recorded in 1975. This is not the first film by Lanzmann which examines the Holocaust. His documentary Shoah featured 9/12 hours of archival footage. Milos Stehlik, WBEZ’s film contributor and Richard Brody, the movies-listings editor at The New Yorker, join us to discuss Lanzmann’s latest film.
- Weekend Passport: 7Vientos release party, Poutine Fest, Flamenco Fest, and Lunasa
- Nari Safavi, co-founder of the Pasfarda Arts and Cultural Exchange, gives us his picks for a global weekend in Chicago. This week, we've got a release party for a new book by Mexican author Mario Bellatin, a festival celebrating Quebec's fries-and-gravy dish, flamenco dancing, and Irish music.
1. An Evening with Mario Bellatin
WHAT: Release party for ‘Flowers’ and ‘The Illustrated Biography of Mishima,’ two locally published novellas by Mexican novelist
WHEN: Saturday, Feb. 22, 7:00 pm - 11:55 pm
WHERE: Chicago Urban Art Society, 600 W. Cermak Rd. Unit 1B,Chicago
2. Poutine Fest
WHAT: A celebration of Quebec’s late-night fries-with-gravy comfort food.
WHEN: Sunday, Feb. 23, 11:00 AM to 6:00 PM (CST)
WHERE: Haymarket Pub & Brewery 737 W Randolph St, Chicago
3. Patricia Ibanez at Cervantes- Flamenco Festival
WHAT: Performance by a world-reknowned Flamenco dancer
WHEN: Friday, Feb. 21, 7:30 pm and Saturday Feb. 22, 7:30 pmWHERE: Instituto Cervantes, 31 W. Ohio St. Chicago
WHAT: Irish instrumental music ensemble
WHEN: Sunday, Feb. 23, 7:00 pmWHERE: Old Town School of Folk Music, 4544 N Lincoln Ave · Gary and Laura Maurer Concert Hall