- Aren't in Washington, DC? Search the Farmers Market Directory to locate your closest market and the People's Garden Map to find a garden nearer to where you live.
Public transport is the easiest way to reach us. Take the Metro orange or blue line to the Smithsonian Metro Station. When you reach the top of the escalator from either exit, we're located across the street along 12th Street between Independence Ave and Jefferson Drive, SW.
Free Community Yoga Class in the People’s Garden
Friday, August 9
10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
North Lawn of the United States Department of Agriculture Headquarters
Corner of Jefferson Drive and 12th Street, SW
By the end of the week our bodies are tired, stressed, and stiff from sitting all day. This Dharma-inspired class will work on opening stiff joints, loosening tight muscles, and strengthening the core. Let this 60-minute session help to remove stress and strain at the end of your busy week and enable you to glide peacefully into the weekend. This free program is part of Healthy Food and Healthy Living Day at USDA Farmers Market in celebration of National Farmers Market Week (August 4 -10). It is being taught by a qualified yoga instructor from Yoga Activist. Yoga Activist is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization who works to make yoga accessible to communities everywhere. Please bring a mat.
Did you know? USDA has an two beehives on the roof of headquarters in Washington, DC! Take a virtual tour of the People’s Garden Apiary, where People’s Garden Volunteer Beekeeper and Natural Resources Conservation Service National Agricultural Engineer Wayne Bogovich, checks-in on 40,000 happy healthy Italian honey bees:
- We even make honey; 18 gallons since 2010!
- This past Friday (6/21) we were joined by HOT 99.5 radio, providing everyone with entertainment as they made their way through the Farmers Market!
18th Annual USDA Farmers Market Kickoff - June 7, 2013
- Washington Redskins Safety Reed Doughty spoke during this morning's ceremony about the importance of healthy eating and local food.
- Thanks for making it despite the weather, Reed!
- Students from Columbia Heights Educational Campus (CHEC) posed with Smokey Bear and Woodsey Owl. Last year, the District of Columbia Daughters of the American Revolution (D.C. DAR) partnered with USDA to bring a People’s Garden to this school in Washington, D.C. Read more about their story on the USDA Blog.
- Check out more photos from today's events in the USDA Flickr album!
- Here's the Farmers Market app, which is also mobile-optimized. Find your community Farmers Market, hours of operation, goods sold and more.
- The Truck Farm is a D.C. Central Kitchen and U.S. Department of Agriculture’s People’s Garden Initiative partnership. Like other Truck Farms around the country, this trusty pick-up will travel around the city to schools and community sites, teaching children about healthy eating and where their food comes from through the garden display in its truck-bed. Along with other local donors, the People’s Garden Initiative supports this “edible exhibit” by providing seedlings and educational materials.Check out this music time-lapse of the D.C. Central Kitchen’s Local Initiatives and Procurement Coordinator Joelle Johnson, The Campus Kitchens Project’s Matt Schnarr, Nutrition Out Reach Coordinator Lydia Mills and Web Content Coordinator/Designer Shannon Simmons, during Truck Farm planting day in Washington, D.C. on April 6, 2012.