Gay Catholic school teacher fired in OhioGym teacher Carla Hale, below, was fired from the high school she worked at for more than 19 years. Someone sent an anonymous letter to the school after seeing an obit that revealed that the teacher had a life partner and was gay.
- On Monday, USA TODAY Opinion put this question to our readers:
- 13.5% of voters said: Yes. Catholic schools should uphold their values.5.4% of voters said: No. Schools should teach kids to accept everyone.78.4% of voters said: No. Sexuality has nothing to do with teaching ability.2.7% of voters said: I think it's discriminatory, but Catholic schools can do whatever they want.For a further breakdown of the votes, visit facebook.com/usatodayopinion.
- Here's what USA TODAY readers had to say:
- Start over. Let's see. The Catholic Church will let scores of pedophiles get away with unspeakable acts for thousands of years yet fire a woman in a committed relationship because her partner is the same sex. Heinous yet not surprising because the Catholic Church is about the most hypocritical group on the planet. Thank God I'm Episcopal ~ over and out tcl~
- Conversations outside of USA TODAY Opinion:
How will legalizing marijuana actually work?
- Beau Kilmer, co-author of "Marijuana Legalization: What Everyone Needs to Know," breaks down what legalizing marijuana will do.
- Here's what USA TODAY reader's had to say: