Gay Catholic school teacher fired in OhioGym teacher Carla Hale, below, was fired from the high school she worked at for more than 19 years. Someone sent an anonymous letter to the school after seeing an obit that revealed that the teacher had a life partner and was gay.
- On Monday, USA TODAY Opinion put this question to our readers:
- 13.5% of voters said: Yes. Catholic schools should uphold their values.5.4% of voters said: No. Schools should teach kids to accept everyone.78.4% of voters said: No. Sexuality has nothing to do with teaching ability.2.7% of voters said: I think it's discriminatory, but Catholic schools can do whatever they want.For a further breakdown of the votes, visit facebook.com/usatodayopinion.
- Here's what USA TODAY readers had to say:
- Start over. Let's see. The Catholic Church will let scores of pedophiles get away with unspeakable acts for thousands of years yet fire a woman in a committed relationship because her partner is the same sex. Heinous yet not surprising because the Catholic Church is about the most hypocritical group on the planet. Thank God I'm Episcopal ~ over and out tcl~
- Conversations outside of USA TODAY Opinion:
- I watched the news today and I became irate...a catholic school in Ohio fired a female gym teacher who had been there for almost two decades because someone sent in an anonymous letter telling that she lives with a woman...well I don't know about anyone else but I would much rather have a lesbian in daily contact with my kids or grandkids than a catholic priest who may or may not rape a child. Come on, the woman never brought her home life to school and no one even knew she was gay for nineteen yrs..what the hell? I'm beginning to see a lot of parents reasoning behind home schooling. Shame on the catholic church...
- Regarding the Ohio teacher who was fired after 19 years teaching at a Catholic school because it came out that she's gay... When will we ever get to the stage where we judge a person by "the content of their character" and not by who they go home to. If the 10 Commandments are the cornerstone of the Catholic teachings, show me which one covers this. I consider myself a Christian, but no longer Catholic, because my God isn't intolerant or afraid. My God never turned anyone away.
How will legalizing marijuana actually work?
- Beau Kilmer, co-author of "Marijuana Legalization: What Everyone Needs to Know," breaks down what legalizing marijuana will do.
- Here's what USA TODAY reader's had to say: