With thanks for campus support and continued engagement from our participants, we held the second incubator in our Spring 2017 series. For the "Meaning and Mapping" session, we wanted to give participants a chance to get some interactive practice with an online cartography platform.
- — UMD AADHum (@UMD_AADHum)Mon, Mar 06 2017 18:33:24
- — UMD AADHum (@UMD_AADHum)Mon, Mar 06 2017 18:40:18opening remarks from postdoc Jovonne B. reminds us where we left off: working thru critical questions arising from reading+designing maps
- — UMD AADHum (@UMD_AADHum)Mon, Mar 06 2017 18:44:12beginning today with a brief Mapping 101 discussion. postdoc @Justinhosb orients us to basic vocabulary: map, GIS, points, lines, & polygons
- — Emily M. N. Kugler (@Emnk)Mon, Mar 06 2017 18:43:45#AADhum What is GIS? many think only of software, but it's also hardware, data, & people. How do we bring the human into our analysis?
- — Emily M. N. Kugler (@Emnk)Mon, Mar 06 2017 18:45:39GIS terminology: Feature: Geometry [point, line, polygon (parcels)], Location [latitude, longitude], Attribute [non-spatial info] #AADhum
- — Purdom Lindblad (@Purdom_L)Mon, Mar 06 2017 18:47:24spatial vocab-points, lines, attributes-including attributes-ways of representing *where* + *what* of the ‘real world’ on a map #aadhum
- — UMD AADHum (@UMD_AADHum)Mon, Mar 06 2017 18:48:23
Throughout the incubator, participants were introduced to various examples of digital projects. These examples prompted productive discussions about how practical design and issues of meaning-making, representation, and power are integrally embedded in mapping.
- — UMD AADHum (@UMD_AADHum)Mon, Mar 06 2017 18:51:13we're checking out this map as a way to practice identifying map elements and discussing mapping implications http://www.jhsph.edu/research/centers-and-institutes/johns-hopkins-center-for-a-livable-future/news-room/our-stories/2012/food_desert.html …
- — Emily M. N. Kugler (@Emnk)Mon, Mar 06 2017 18:50:57Discussing GIS terminology using the 2012 Baltimore City Food Environment map #aadhum http://mdfoodsystemmap.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/MethodologyBrief_09-2012.pdf …
- — Purdom Lindblad (@Purdom_L)Mon, Mar 06 2017 18:54:13
- — Emily M. N. Kugler (@Emnk)Mon, Mar 06 2017 18:55:16Raster (remote sensing, georeferencing, eg warping historic maps) vs Vector Layers (pts, lines, polygons; resembles hand-drawn maps) #aadhum
- — Emily M. N. Kugler (@Emnk)Mon, Mar 06 2017 18:55:50Difference is largely how the computer is storing it. What form is it within the computer: pixels vs. geometry and shapes #aadhum
- — UMD AADHum (@UMD_AADHum)Mon, Mar 06 2017 18:57:17
After introducing participants to a shared vocabulary, we were eager to give them a chance to begin exploring map-making for themselves. Having already registered with Carto, an online map-making platform, each participant also received a dataset and a set of step-by-step instructions.
Incubator 2-A: Meaning and Mapping
On Monday, February 6, from 1:30-3:00pm, @UMD_MITH partnered with @UMD_AADHUM to offer its second Incubator of the Spring 2017 Race, Space, & Place series. The goal was to introduce practical components of map-making, while foregrounding human experience, representation, and power.
byUMD AADHum13 Views