- School of Public Health Dean Jane E. Clark kicked off the 4th annual PHR@M day with a warm welcome. UMD Provost and VP Mary Ann Rankin praised the collaborative nature of PHR@M, and Jay Magaziner, Professor and Chair of the Dept. of Epidemiology and Public Health at the UM School of Medicine, provided a welcome from the Baltimore campus.
- Maryland health agencies and research leaders joined us throughout the day ...
Seeing the Bigger Picture in Diabetes Prevention:
- Dr. Dean Schillinger of UCSF's Center for Vulnerable Populations gave us a powerful look at early results from an innovative campaign to raise awareness of pre-diabetes in children of color. Watch his presentation on Stamp TV below.
- The award-winning videos he showed were both inspiring and chilling. Young people from across the Bay Area used poetry & other art forms to showcase how social and environmental factors, such as access to affordable healthy food, predatory marketing, poverty, safety, and more, have affected them personally.
Framework for a Culture of Health:
- In the second session of the day, Carolyn Miller, Senior Program Officer at the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, talked about how we can all participate in creating a "culture of health" in our communities.