- The day started with welcome remarks by UMD College Park President Wallace Loh; UM Baltimore President Jay Perman; UM Vice President for Medical Affairs E. Albert Reece; UM School of Medicine Department of Epidemiology and Public Health Director Jay Magaziner; and UMD School of Public Health Dean Boris Lushniak, who led the crowd in a morning stretch and high-five.
- Students, faculty and staff submitted entries for our first PHR@M photo contest, and throughout the day conference attendees voted for their student favorites.
The Opening Session: Achieving Health Equity
- Baltimore City Health Department Commissioner Leana Wen talked passionately about taking on the difficult projects in public health.
- Watch a brief video by communications graduate assistant and journalism master's student Gabriela Martinez with highlights from Dr. Wen's talk:
- Drs. Maura Dwyer and Ernest Carter followed Dr. Wen with details about Health Enterprise Zones, at the state level and the county level, with Dr. Carter discussing Prince George's County's Health Enterprise Zone, in Capitol Heights.
- Dr. Ferrell Aklin capped off the discussion with an overview of the mission of the National Institute for Minority Health and Health Disparities, and announced a summer research opportunity.
- Audience members kept the conversation going.