- Writer and activist Suey Park created the hashtag #CancelColbert after the joke was tweeted.
- — Amy Alexander (@AmyAlex63)Fri, Mar 28 2014 00:17:53
- — Bhaswati Chattopadhy (@BhaswatiChat)Fri, Mar 28 2014 00:22:01#CancelColbert because these "jokes" once justified exclusionary acts, internment camps, atom bombs, napalm, and the murder of Vincent Chin.
- — Arnesa (@_arnesa_)Fri, Mar 28 2014 00:26:51These "jokes" are repeated over and over and over again at the expense of an entire racial/ethnic group. For what purpose? #cancelcolbert
- The offending tweet was quickly deleted.
- Stephen Colbert distanced himself from the account, pointing out on his personal account that the show twitter account is run by the television network Comedy Central.
- — Stephen Colbert (@StephenAtHome)Fri, Mar 28 2014 04:03:00#CancelColbert - I agree! Just saw @ColbertReport tweet. I share your rage. Who is that, though? I'm @StephenAtHome http://thecolbertreport.cc.com/videos/b6cwb3/sport-report---professional-soccer-toddler--golf-innovations---washington-redskins-charm-offensive …
- The official account also stressed that it is not run by Colbert.
- — The Colbert Report (@ColbertReport)Fri, Mar 28 2014 03:59:15
- — The Colbert Report (@ColbertReport)Fri, Mar 28 2014 04:45:26
- By Friday morning, the topic was trending and the debate raged on.
- — Matty Ice (@Dem0crats)Fri, Mar 28 2014 14:53:35I think we should hold all Fox News anchors to the same standards that we are now holding a fake news anchor to. #CancelColbert
- — alicia sanchez gill (@aliciasanchez)Fri, Mar 28 2014 00:21:36
- — Will Ryan (@Psychpunk)Fri, Mar 28 2014 00:21:21The logic behind using ironic racist humor is so circular: "But the audience KNOWS it's racist and wrong so it's okay." Wut? #CancelColbert
- — Ben Norton (@HeartsMindsEars)Fri, Mar 28 2014 00:17:40Just because you say something oppressive, racist, misogynist, etc. and call it "satire" doesn't mean it actually is. #CancelColbert
Campaign to #CancelColbert sparked by racial joke
After the Twitter account for the Colbert Show tweeted a joke the comedian had made about the Washington Redskins owner's new charity foundation, Twitter users accused the comedian of racism and called for his show to be cancelled.
byToronto Star Life23,671 Views