On Tuesday morning, the news broke that Gannett, which owns USA Today and a host of other newspaper and broadcasting properties, was spinning off into two separate companies: one with the lucrative broadcasting properties, and the other with the not-so-lucrative print properties.
Word trickled out that Sports on Earth, a site 50% owned by USA Today Sports Media Group and 50% by MLB Advanced Media, was one of the casualties in the restructuring.
- I spoke with a USA Today Sports Media Group spokesperson, who told me that wasn't quite accurate.
- With rumors continuing to trickle out, Sports on Earth senior editor Will Letich sought to quell the storm.
- — Will Leitch (@williamfleitch)Tue, Aug 05 2014 14:27:32All right, since someone needs to say it: @SportsonEarth is not shutting down. There are some changes going on. But it is not shutting down.
- That worked for a couple of hours...until the bloodbath of layoffs began.
- — Colin McGowan (@cs_mcgowan)Tue, Aug 05 2014 16:59:34So, um, I guess if the SoE news has broken, I can acknowledge it. If you have any work for me: colinsilasmcgowan [at] gmail [dot] com.
- — Colin McGowan (@cs_mcgowan)Tue, Aug 05 2014 17:00:41I’m not necessarily out of a job, but it appears I’m out of one for the next few weeks or so. And I’d like to write stuff/eat food.
- — Seerat Sohi (@DamianTrillard)Tue, Aug 05 2014 17:58:26Hey, Becky Hammon got hired as an assistant coach! Aw, Sports on Earth looks up in the air-ish. Life is such a roller coaster, you guys.
- — Emma Span (@emmaspan)Tue, Aug 05 2014 18:25:39Yes, Sports on Earth will *technically* continue to exist. But they've laid off 95% of the writers and editors who made it what it was. So.
- — Wendy Thurm (@hangingsliders)Tue, Aug 05 2014 18:36:50My last (?) piece for @SportsonEarth: Jake Peavy & his quest to win a WS with his good friend Bruce Bochy: http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/88003136/jake-peavy-san-francisco-giants-pennant-race-red-sox-trade#!bwxgOe …
- — Matthew Kory (@mattymatty2000)Tue, Aug 05 2014 18:38:39Enjoy this face while it lasts, internet, because afterwards I think it's bag-only time again. http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/87979260/which-world-series-winners-stayed-together-the-longest-braves#!bwxlPQ …