- After being arrested for failure to signal when changinglanes on July 10th, Sandra Bland was found dead in her Texas jail cell 3 dayslater.
According to police, Sandra Bland was taken into custody and charged with “assault of a public servant.”
- Bland was taken to the Waller County jail in Hempstead,Texas where she spent three days before officials said Bland hanged herself.
- Sandra was associated with the #BlackLivesMatter campaign,an activist movement in the United States fighting police brutality againstAfrican-Americans.
Co-found of the Black Lives Matter movement, Opal Tometisays: "Once again a life cut short due to an unjust system; asystem that devalues and dehumanizes black life at every corner,"
- Blands death has sparked fierce debate overgrowing brutality amongst the African-American community.
- "Black women are also under attack andoften times this goes unacknowledged and dismissed, and I'm hoping this is notthe case with her life. Her life absolutely mattered." Tometi said.
- Texas Police have ruled Blands death as suicide. The cause of death being hanging.