- Our #IndianRiverLagoon team arrived early to bring live updates from the scene for those on their way to the forum at the Charles and Rae Kane Center in Stuart.
- Lawmakers were busy beforehand as well, touring environmental areas relevant to the discussion.
- Protesters began arriving, some carrying signs. The parking lot filled quickly, with overflow parking and a shuttle running from the Grace Place nearby.
- — Tyler Treadway (@tcpalmtreadway)Thu, Aug 22 2013 16:31:05Sierra Club members at #INDIANRIVERLAGOON hearing wearing Band-AIDS, say they represent Gov. Scott's actions on water quality.
- Some opted to wear their slogans, because signs and costumes were banned from the meeting hall where the forum was held.
Senate committee hearing on the Indian River Lagoon
The Senate Select Committee on Indian River Lagoon and Lake Okeechobee Basin met Aug. 22 with stakeholders affected by the Lake Okeechobee freshwater releases damaging the St. Lucie Estuary. Fifteen Scripps journalists covered the hearing, which drew a crowd of hundreds.