- It is Facebook's 10th anniversary this coming week, so my colleagues at the Pew Research Center are gathering data about how that platform has grown and what effect it has had on the world.
- — Pew Internet (@pewinternet)Fri, Jan 31 2014 15:42:50Happy almost bday to Facebook: 63% of FB users report going on the site at least daily (40% multiple times a day) http://pewrsr.ch/1k0GGPw
- Since I view the world through a health lens, I started tweeting a few examples of Facebook's role in health care:
- Then, on Saturday, a conversation broke out:
- — Afternoon Napper (@AfternoonNapper)Sat, Feb 01 2014 12:34:23@SusannahFox Very interesting experience recently re: pt community, FB, privacy. Community > privacy. I was surprised.
- — Afternoon Napper (@AfternoonNapper)Sat, Feb 01 2014 12:46:32@SusannahFox I don't know if I can/should... Delicate. I'll ponder it! So behind on my blogging... :(
- — Afternoon Napper (@AfternoonNapper)Sat, Feb 01 2014 12:50:41@SusannahFox Yes but not just benefits of community in broad/general sense. Specificity of intimacy, environment despite "better" option.
- — Afternoon Napper (@AfternoonNapper)Sat, Feb 01 2014 12:52:09@SusannahFox So terrified of losing one another that they became angry at me for suggesting new platform. FASCINATING.
- — Susannah Fox (@SusannahFox)Sat, Feb 01 2014 13:09:45@AfternoonNapper I've seen it before in patient communities: devotion to BBS or listserve, resistance to new platforms. Fascinating indeed.
- — Afternoon Napper (@AfternoonNapper)Sat, Feb 01 2014 12:54:28@SusannahFox Community aligned w/ changing demographics of FB, middle-aged+ women. Wonder if it would have been same exp for other Dx.
- — brett johnson (@granitehead)Sat, Feb 01 2014 14:07:06
- — Erin Moore (@ekeeleymoore)Sat, Feb 01 2014 14:33:48@SusannahFox Love social learning networks, but many are silos, trapping knowledge in one space & time, no opp for cross-disease learning
- — Brave Bosom (@BraveBosom)Sat, Feb 01 2014 14:36:50
- — Erin Moore (@ekeeleymoore)Sat, Feb 01 2014 14:37:13
- — Erin Moore (@ekeeleymoore)Sat, Feb 01 2014 14:38:07
- — Brave Bosom (@BraveBosom)Sat, Feb 01 2014 14:48:19
- I think it's worth exploring these issues, so I'm first capturing these tweets and then inviting people to talk about it on my blog:
Evolution of online patient communities
From BBS, Compuserve, and list serves to Yahoo and Facebook groups to Inspire, PatientsLikeMe, SmartPatients, the C3N...and <insert your favorite here>
bySusannahFox1 Like1,493 Views