Why You Need a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

If you are going to Europe, this document is as important as your Passport!


  1. If you are a UK resident and are booking a family trip to Europe, one of the most important things that you will need to add to your to do list is to apply for and receive your European Health Insurance Card.
  2. This document is as important as taking your passport, Airplane tickets and travel insurance and will cover you in the event of illness or a sudden accident. Once you have received the card keep it very safe just in case you will need to produce it in the event of an emergency.
  3. All UK residents are eligible to apply for the card and it is also available for children under the age of 16. The EHIC card is the replacement for the old E111 and it come into place a decade ago in 2006.
  4. If you or a family member become sick on holiday or an accident occurs than you will be entitled to the same as a resident of the country that you are staying in. This could be Italy, France, Holland or Germany, you will be treated just the same as a native.
  5. If you get regular medical attention at home, you will still be entitled to keep getting this while away on your travels. You will also be covered if you are pregnant and you need to give birth at a local hospital.However, you are not allowed to visit a country to receive medical treatment only, it must be a genuine visit and you will be fully covered. You will need to apply or renew your EHIC card every 5 years
  6. Private healthcare is something that is not covered by the EHIC and you will not be entitled to plastic or any cosmetic surgery either.
  7. You will still need your travel insurance as well and some companies will require to have the European Health Card before they insure you. A European Health Insurance Card is not an alternative or replacement for travel insurance.
  8. So to conclude, if you are planning a trip to Europe, apply for your EHIC card as soon as possible. You will then be covered for each member of your family should anything unfortunate happen to one of you.
  9. European Health Insurance Card - Replace E111 Or Apply For EHIC