- Soil proved to be a popular subject. The one hour tweet chat generated nearly 1000 tweets from 186 contributors and reached more than 300,000 people.
- Contributors ranged from private sector companies, researchers, NGOs and A LOT of individuals including farmers, soil experts, ag aficionados and more.
- ALL of them interested in helping farmers protect the earth beneath our feet.
- We had a great line up of soil and communication experts. Our panel comprised six organisations:
- · Katharine MacMahon, Communications Manager, Shamba Shape Up
· Janeth Chepkemoi, Sustainable Soil Rsource Manager, Ypard
· David Guerena, Agricultural Innovations Manager, One Acre Fund
· Anja Weber, Country Manager, Soil Cares
· Five experts from Syngenta - Wilfred Juma, Technical Field Expert in Kenya; Romano De Vivo, Head of Environmental Policy; Jeremy Dyson, Head of Environmental Stewardship for Europe and Fellow Institute for Soil Scientists (FIPSS); Manpriet Singh, Sustainable Agriculture and Stewardship Specialist; and Varun Vats, Public Policy & Partnerships Manager
· And last but not least Georgina Smith,Communications Specialist; and Juliet Braslow, Soils Area Coordinator, from CIAT.
- Here they are! (well, some of them...)
- We were expecting a lively discussion - and we weren't disappointed.
- It turns out (unsurprisingly) smallholder farmers are facing a LOT of challenges when it comes to their soils.
- Some participants posted pictures and asked how they can solve erosion problems on their farms.