- — Jeet Heer (@HeerJeet)Sat, Feb 27 2016 01:53:0712. Even Nikki Haley, daughter of immigrants & Rubio supporter, says she will support Trump if he is nominee https://twitter.com/thehill/status/703394377549410304 …
- — Jeet Heer (@HeerJeet)Sat, Feb 27 2016 02:06:3318. Disagree. Trumpism is coherent attitude: white identity politics, anti-immigration, unilateral foreign policy https://twitter.com/eto_o_o_face/status/703399631464624129 …
- — Ross Douthat (@DouthatNYT)Sat, Feb 27 2016 02:07:531. Okay, let me explain why @HeerJeet is wrong that Marco Rubio should/will endorse Trump for the same reasons Nixon endorsed Goldwater.
- — Ross Douthat (@DouthatNYT)Sat, Feb 27 2016 02:09:272. First, Nixon in 1964 was a party elder: Ex-VP, ex-POTUS candidate. He was not a rival of Goldwater for the nomination, except sub rosa.
- — Ross Douthat (@DouthatNYT)Sat, Feb 27 2016 02:11:083. So he hadn't been out publicly making "Goldwater will destroy the party" case, or otherwise casting himself as leader of anti-AuH20 camp.
- — Ross Douthat (@DouthatNYT)Sat, Feb 27 2016 02:13:224. So endorsing came much easier. There wasn't a "Team Nixon" of anti-Goldwater bitter enders to take it as a deep betrayal of their cause.
If Trump Wins, Should Rubio and Cruz Endorse?
A discussion between the New York Times columnist Ross Douthat and Jeet Heer. a senior editor of the New Republic
byJon Richards1,246 Views