Some advice and links to further reading that will help you become a better copy editor.
- Look, copy editing is hard. It's a skill that can be learned, but it takes lots of practice, and when you are first starting out it takes lots of patience. Check out the Website of the American Copy Editors Society--yes, they have their own society. This site is a good resource.
- Check out the "Resource Links" page for lots of help hints and tips.
- Your homework is to complete this editing test that will test your eye for common errors.
- There are lots of guides and advice pages on the Web for copy editors. One of the best and easiest it to use is on Purdue's OWL site.
- But if you need something short and sweet to hang next to your computer, this is a good one.
- Don't be discouraged by people who say that knowing the rules of grammar is nerdy, or obsessive compulsive.