- On Tuesday 3rd March, the Detention Inquiry (a cross-party group of MPs) released its long-awaited report. You can read some of the 200 pieces of evidence they considered here:
- — BID (@BIDdetention)Mon, Mar 02 2015 10:27:37
- The night before, an undercover news report on Yarl's Wood - a detention centre holding nearly 400 women - had put detention firmly on the agenda.
- At midnight, the inquiry released its report.
- Reactions followed almost immediately.
- — Shoaib M Khan (@ShoaibMKhan)Mon, Mar 02 2015 23:05:51
- — Paul Dillane (@Paul_Dillane)Tue, Mar 03 2015 08:00:37
- — WomenforRefugeeWomen (@4refugeewomen)Tue, Mar 03 2015 08:13:47Good to see #detentioninquiry recommends end to detention survivors of sexual violence & pregnant women #SetHerFree https://detentioninquiry.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/immigration-detention-inquiry-report.pdf …
- — Zoe Gardner (@ZoeJardiniere)Tue, Mar 03 2015 09:42:03A de facto complete end to the practice of locking up innocent people without charge can be only acceptable result of the #detentioninquiry
- NGOs and campaigners - many of whom had given evidence - were also quick to respond. Here's a round-up of their views:
- — UNHCR United Kingdom (@UNHCRUK)Tue, Mar 03 2015 11:10:14
- — Freedom from Torture (@FreefromTorture)Tue, Mar 03 2015 11:22:11
- — Refugee Action (@RefugeeAction)Tue, Mar 03 2015 07:00:21
- — Refugee Council (@refugeecouncil)Tue, Mar 03 2015 10:16:59'Immigration detention: a disproportionate deprivation of liberty' - we blog for @HuffPostUK http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/maurice-wren/immigration-detention_b_6784250.html … #detentioninquiry
- — Right to Remain (@Right_to_Remain)Tue, Mar 03 2015 06:35:38"RtR is opposed to all detention..This report progresses the anti-detention movement a long way." http://www.righttoremain.org.uk/blog/cross-party-parliamentary-inquiry-into-detention-we-cannot-go-on-as-we-are/ … #detentioninquiry
- — Detention Action (@DetentionAction)Tue, Mar 03 2015 10:01:53Our response to today's game-changing #DetentionInquiry report: http://detentionaction.org.uk/detention-inquiry-report-released-we-cannot-go-on-as-we-are … Now we need to see the political courage to act on it
- — TheDetentionForum (@DetentionForum)Tue, Mar 03 2015 09:00:16Finally #Time4aTimeLimit? Here's our statement in response to #detentioninquiry report http://detentionforum.org.uk/inquiry-panel-report/ …
- Here's how the press covered the report launch.
Detention Inquiry report launch - news, views & responses
Today a cross-party group of MPs released a damning report into the use of detention in the immigration system. Here's a round up of news, views and coverage from throughout the day.
byRefugee Action283 Views