Santa's real workshop: the town in China that makes the world's Christmas decorations
- Inside the ‘Christmas village’ of Yiwu, there’s no snow and no elves, just 600 factories that produce 60% of all the decorations in the world
Gentrification fears loom over rise in east London 'property millionaires'
- Research shows more than 200 Britons wake up each day to find their home worth £1m-plus – with east London boroughs leading the surge
India can't go it alone on Climate Change
- India’s climate change commitments have been designed to address environmental concerns while also meeting the growth aspirations of its citizens and its overall development ambitions.
Storm Desmond: Cumbria clean-up operation begins
- A major clean-up operation is under way after Cumbria was battered by Storm Desmond.
Will we ever get a truly car-free city?
- Oslo is the latest city to announce plans which shift the focus away from cars – by banning all private vehicles from the centre by 2019. Car-free days have slashed pollution in Paris while new eco-cities are aiming to design out the need for vehicles – but will cars in cities ever be consigned to history?
Most firms will be using 3D printing
- The 3D print market is worth an estimated £3.4bn a year, according to market analysts. Are we standing on the cusp of a new industrial revolution?
Storm Desmond brings widespread flooding to Cumbria
- More heavy rain is expected to hit parts of northern England and Scotland this week as work continues to repair flood damage caused by record rainfall levels in the area. The Government has faced criticism after multi-million pound defenses built following catastrophic floods in 2005 failed to keep the deluge out from people's homes in Cumbria, the county worst affected by Storm Desmond.
The end of deep coal mining in Britain
- After surviving Margaret Thatcher and myriad strikes, the closure of the Kellingley colliery heralds the end of the British coal mining industry. Taking with it decades of camaraderie and history, this local tragedy is shrouding Yorkshire in sadness.