- — Anulfo Baez (@EvolvingCritic)Wed, Sep 05 2012 20:15:00For those in my feed wondering what a white elephant building is, it's a building in need of a creative solution. #BuiltHeritage
- — Simon Denton (@CastleBod)Wed, Sep 05 2012 20:34:40White elephant or not it is finding a 21stC life that people want to engage with and use. Time to think outside of the box #builtheritage
Question 1: What white elephants exist in your community?
- — Andrew Jeanes (@wanderu)Wed, Sep 05 2012 20:06:40A1: My own pet white elephant is Kingston Outer Station. http://www.thewhig.com/2012/05/13/city-cn-go-to-court-over-station …ombuiltheritageity-cn-go-to-court-over-station #builtheritage
- — Maianne Preble (@t4yt4m)Wed, Sep 05 2012 20:13:02Lots of photos of the Fergus Falls RTC - https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/146744348673366/ …cobuiltheritage46744348673366/ #builtheritage
- — Anulfo Baez (@EvolvingCritic)Wed, Sep 05 2012 20:16:04
Question 2: How can you rally community support for white elephants?
- — Kayla Jonas Galvin (@jonaskayla)Wed, Sep 05 2012 20:22:31A2: I think having people fall in love with the building is key, which means making them relevant to people #builtheritage
- — PresNation Live (@PresNationLive)Wed, Sep 05 2012 20:25:33A2: We had a guest blogger talking about introducing people to #preservation yesterday: http://blog.preservationnation.org/2012/09/04/10-on-tuesday-10-tips-for-introducing-the-public-to-preservation/ …tiobuiltheritage012/09/04/10-on-tuesday-10-tips-for-introducing-the-public-to-preservation/. #builtheritage
- — Renée van Staveren (@GlobalSitePlans)Wed, Sep 05 2012 20:33:21
Question 3: What are examples of successful reuses of white elephant buildings?
- — Lloyd Alter (@lloydalter)Wed, Sep 05 2012 20:37:15
- — Andrew Jeanes (@wanderu)Wed, Sep 05 2012 20:36:55A3 Lots of high-profile examples in Toronto: Distillery District is one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distillery_District …orbuiltheritagelery_District #builtheritage
- — Renée van Staveren (@GlobalSitePlans)Wed, Sep 05 2012 20:46:29
Question 4: How can white elephants be kept vibrant while awaiting restoration and a permanent use?
- — Jamie Bradburn (@jbcurio)Wed, Sep 05 2012 20:50:47Q4: making sure the left hand knows what the right hand is doing government wise while waiting (closing loopholes) #builtheritage
- We finished with a special announcement...
- — PresNation Live (@PresNationLive)Wed, Sep 05 2012 21:01:28
- — PresNation Live (@PresNationLive)Wed, Sep 05 2012 21:01:53
- — PresNation Live (@PresNationLive)Wed, Sep 05 2012 21:02:12
Our next chat will be Wednesday, October 3 at 4:00 EDT. We’ll be chatting about window rehab with the Preservation Green Lab.