- — AJ Barker (@A_Barker_82)Sun, Nov 18 2012 21:49:13Well, its official. I am done playing football for the University of Minnesota and I will be looking to transfer next season for my final yr
Folks took sides, even before comment from the university.
- — Joe Welsch (@jjwelsch55)Sun, Nov 18 2012 23:58:07@A_Barker_82 WOW! Very impressive, well done for standing up for your rights and beliefs. Good luck on wherever you land next year.....
- — Amanda Farrell (@AMFarrell07)Sun, Nov 18 2012 23:58:36Dang. Sad to see @A_Barker_82 leave, but after reading about the situation, happy for him stand up for himself & get out of the situation.
- — Terry Zeller (@iExzel)Sun, Nov 18 2012 23:58:30
Even Vikings punter Chris Kluwe joined the Barker bandwagon.
- — Chris Kluwe (@ChrisWarcraft)Mon, Nov 19 2012 00:22:44@dbrauer If true (and my bet is it is), it shows neglect by the training staff that should get them fired and complete immaturity by Kill.
- — Chris Kluwe (@ChrisWarcraft)Mon, Nov 19 2012 00:24:51@dbrauer Could AJ have approached it a different way? Sure, but everyone has a breaking point. I personally applaud him.
Some people started seeing W's. Red ones.
- — Jay Skebba (@jay_skebba)Sun, Nov 18 2012 23:57:40@A_Barker_82 Would love to see you stick it to Kill wearing a big red "W." Good luck with everything, you got a fan in me no matter what.
But there were detractors, too.
- Lots thought his letter sounded like the work act of a self-entitled kid who 'probably got ribbons for participation his whole life.'
- — Matt Galloway (@themattgalloway)Sun, Nov 18 2012 23:57:36Kill isn't coming off well here either, but Barker's blog has the stink of an entitled kid whose parents always told him he was special.
- — Corey Goblirsch (@CoreyGoblirsch)Sun, Nov 18 2012 23:59:20Good way to handle that AJ Barker. Proving exactly how selfish you are and how you starve for attention. Have fun playing in the MIAC
- — Joan Conway (@Blazer31)Sun, Nov 18 2012 23:59:30I wonder if AJ Barker wishes he would have left out the part about his mother's friend thinking he was the best player on the team...
- — Zach Wright (@zwright101)Sun, Nov 18 2012 23:03:21If Barker is looking to transfer, his 4,128-word blog post ripping his current coach probably won't sit well with potential future coaches.
And some folks just seemed overwhelmed with the situation.
- — Peter Leslie (@p_leslie10)Sun, Nov 18 2012 22:44:51check out @A_Barker_82 letter, if you've never played college sports don't even pretend to understand it. Money and Sports = Problems
- — Jordan Bishop (@Jordan_Bishop)Sun, Nov 18 2012 23:59:06
- — Brett Boese (@PBbboese)Sun, Nov 18 2012 23:57:32Just woke up from a long nap...someone please tell me this AJ Barker internet letter to Jerry Kill is a joke. It has to be, right? Ugh.
Sorry, Brett. Nope.
A.J. Barker quits Jerry Kill's Gopher team and fans take sides
The University of MInnesota's leading receiver quit the team Sunday shortly before publishing a 4,000 word blog post leveling charges of harsh treatment and manipulation by Head Football Coach Jerry Kill.
byPioneer Press10,826 Views