- SS Patrick,Brigit and Colmcille are the three patron saints of Ireland. Patrick was a historical figure. He was taken as a slave to Ireland in the fifth-century, from Roman Britain, he went on to play a key role in the evanelisation of Ireland. Significantly some of his personal writing the 'Confessio' The Epistola, have survived. The posts below provide an overview of St Patrick's life.
My name is Patrick...I am a sinner, a simple country person, and the least of all believers. I am looked down upon by many.
My father was Calpornius. He was a deacon; his father was Potitus, a priest, who lived at Bannavem Taburniae.
His home was near there, and that is where I was taken prisoner.
I was about sixteen at the time. ( taken from confessio.ie/#)
- Tradition holds Patrick was buried at Down Cathedral
- St Patrick is associated with many archaeological sites around Ireland, ranging from early medieval monastic foundations, medieval cathedrals, holy wells and bullaun stones.
- Ardpatrick Co Limerick
- St Patrick's Chair Boheh Co Mayo
- St Patrick is the patron saint of many holy wells in Ireland , some of which are still the focus of pilgrimage