- Presidential candidates and their campaigns weighed in on Twitter following the sudden news that House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) would not seek the speakership, as had been widely expected. The election to succeed House Speaker John Boehner has been postponed to a later date.
- — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump)Thu, Oct 08 2015 16:31:33Great, Kevin McCarthy drops out of SPEAKER race. We need a really smart and really tough person to take over this very important job!
- — Hillary Clinton (@HillaryClinton)Thu, Oct 08 2015 17:33:27How about this @KevinMcCarthy for speaker instead? https://amp.twimg.com/v/ac9d2670-a452-4a95-9b14-6b5722d73eb4 …
- One of Donald Trump's followers had an idea:
- — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump)Thu, Oct 08 2015 16:38:57
- — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump)Thu, Oct 08 2015 16:46:37Washington (D.C.) is such a mess - nothing works! I will MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! It's not going to happen with anyone else.
- — Gov. Mike Huckabee (@GovMikeHuckabee)Thu, Oct 08 2015 18:40:36It's about burning the corrupt Washington political machine to the ground and rebuilding our country so America can win again. (2/)
- — Gov. Mike Huckabee (@GovMikeHuckabee)Thu, Oct 08 2015 18:40:47We all fought hard to elect conservatives to Congress, but the campaign promises made weren't kept... (3/)
- — Gov. Mike Huckabee (@GovMikeHuckabee)Thu, Oct 08 2015 18:41:05It's time to elect a speaker who will lead Congress and do what we conservatives sent them there to accomplish. (5/)
2016 candidates react to McCarthy's decision