- On July 5 2016 I found this 2014 tweet while searching for signs of cat ownership by players selected in the 2016 NBA Draft:
- I contacted Joel:
- — NBA CATWATCH (@NBAcatwatch)Wed, Jul 06 2016 02:16:55Hi @Bolomboy21 - Can you tell us a bit more about this cat? Do you still have it? What is its name? Is it still sprinting around? Thanks!
- A local journalist:
- — NBA CATWATCH (@NBAcatwatch)Wed, Jul 06 2016 02:40:49Hi @andyblarsen - do you think you might be able to ask Joel Bolomboy about this tweet: https://twitter.com/Bolomboy21/status/463889274505396224 … Would really appreciate it!
- And a front office member of the Utah Jazz:
- — NBA CATWATCH (@NBAcatwatch)Tue, Jul 12 2016 23:13:06Hi @jonrinehart - Trying to determine if Joel Bolomboy is a cat owner. Can you help a niche Twitter account? See: https://twitter.com/Bolomboy21/status/463889274505396224 …
- None of the requests yielded results, so I contacted a Weber State teammate:
- — NBA CATWATCH (@NBAcatwatch)Tue, Jul 12 2016 23:55:28Hi @Jsenglin_30 - Back when you were roommates with Joel Bolomboy, did you ever notice a cat sprinting around? https://twitter.com/Bolomboy21/status/463889274505396224 …
- And got my first lead:
- Another teammate joined the conversation:
- — NBA CATWATCH (@NBAcatwatch)Wed, Jul 13 2016 13:53:52Still on the trail of Joel Bolomboy's cat. So far we know it sprints around, lives in Houston and is "a killer." No name. No gender. Yet!
- At this point I established contact with a source close to the situation, and discussed Joel, the cat and its adoption. Here is that story as told to me by that source:
- — NBA CATWATCH (@NBAcatwatch)Fri, Aug 19 2016 02:29:132 - They went to the house of a coworker whose cat had just had kittens. He really wanted a female cat. He chose a kitten.
- — NBA CATWATCH (@NBAcatwatch)Fri, Aug 19 2016 02:33:485 - Six months later at a check up, the vet informs Joel that he might want to look for a different name, because Fiona was a male.
- — NBA CATWATCH (@NBAcatwatch)Fri, Aug 19 2016 02:41:536 - Joel thought it over, when they got home decided to call Fiona "Fion" because he didn't want to confuse the cat who had learned the name
Joel Bolomboy owns a cat named Fion.
An NBA Catwatch exclusive report.
byNBA CATWATCH10,265 Views